Thursday 21 May 2009

Legend of a Hero - Issue Eight -

Detroit, Michigan 1992

The clock strikes seven as I approach a familiar setting. I used to come here all the time, before the clouds above me went black and I lost myself to the city.

This is Jake Malone’s house, an old friend, we used to be partners, solved a lot of cases together, helped a lot of good people… but we went too far, I went to far.

His house used to echo with children’s laughter, used to be a happy place. But now the welcome mat looks more like a no-entry sign.

I walk up to the door and knock, inside a figure moves, skulking towards the door, feet shuffling along a splintered floor.

The shadow stops just before the door, hovering like a fly above garbage.


“Jake… its me.”

He doesn’t respond.

“Its been a while old friend.”

Inside something breaks, I feel rage blow past the door.

“I need your help, something big is happening.”

He breaks the silence.

“You’ve got a lot of nerve, coming here after what you did.”

His memory is as good as ever.

“Look Jake, what happened… I never would’ve wanted…”

He cuts me short.

“Stop, just stop.”

A thunderstorm approaches.

“It was your obsession, I followed, like a good friend… and destroyed everything I ever loved.”

He’s right, I pushed to hard for to long. I knew the risks, so did he… but Jess, little Tommy… they didn’t.

“I haven’t seen my son for five years, and Jess… she cut me out. I’ve lost everything.”

Words cut deep.

“Please Jake. I can’t do this alone…”

The door opens, a friend turned beast is revealed.

“That’s the same line you gave me five years ago.”

He’s right, I feel like a fraud.

“You told me it would be okay, you promised Jess everything was fine.”

His face is a demon, flames spit from his mouth.

“Then those men came round to the house, took her… almost killed them both. Do you remember?”

Like it was yesterday.

“I almost lost them, because of you. And then one day I come home and they’re gone.”

He looks for something to break, all he has is me.

He lays into me, unleashing his fury… I let him.


“They left because of you, everything has to be about you doesn’t it.”

My already broken body won’t last long, but still I let him continue.

He runs out of steam and crawls against the wall. I gather myself and sit opposite, facing him, blood and all.

“Why did you come back? Why do you always come back?”

I can’t answer him, no words will help console him.

“You’ve squeezed me dry, I have nothing left to give.”

He gets to his feet and heads inside, I don’t follow, this was a bad idea. I pull myself up and head back to the car, turning around to watch him close the door.

Why do I come back? Why do I always come back?




To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment