Thursday 21 May 2009

Legend of a Hero - Issue Ten -

Detroit, Michigan 1992

Hank gets to work with the disk, passing through encrypted files and passwords like a fish through water.

I sit patiently, tapping my foot as I do.

His expression changes, horror and delight battle for a place on his face. He turns around, takes a deep breath and lets me have it.

“Where did you get this disk?”

I hesitate, not sure how much I want him to know.

“Why?”

He brings his hands to his chin, trying to look impressive in his bathrobe and bunny slippers.

“Because the contents of this disk are unlike anything I’ve ever seen.”

He turns to face the screen, moving to the side as he does.

“See for yourself.”

All I see are numbers and lines.

“Plans, dates, events... all cleverly disguised as mathematical equations.”

He’s speaking a language I don’t understand, but I let him continue.

“Something else here, a message for a Mr Hinderman. Its in German.”

Another foreign language, its my own fault, my own arrogance for assuming everything would be in English.

“Lucky for you I can speak seven different languages.”

Please tell me German is one of them.

“And German is one of them.”

Good boy.

“Let me see, movement of money, time to prepare... oh my.”

Whenever a grown man says something like “Oh My” A little piece of me dies inside.


“This doesn't look good... something about a device, North America and... oh no. Das Weltgericht

He’s showing off.

“What does das Weltgericht mean?

I don’t have time for games.

The Last Judgement.”

I stand up, I don’t like anything final... and something tells me this is as final as it gets.

“Do you have an address? Anything I can follow?”

He pauses then reacts.

“Yes, there’s an address.”

He writes it down for me.

“Listen, I know we’ve never seen eye to eye... but, well... should I be scared?”

I almost don’t reply... but he came through, I owe him.

“Get out of the city, and if you pass riverside, check for a lost lamb... bring him with you.”

He looks confused.

“You want me to drive to riverside? Pick up someone?”

He catches on quick.

“I stole the kids car, didn’t think anything of it at the time, but things appear to be more serious than I first expected.”

I don’t expect him to go, but at least I tried.

I go to the car, leaving the disk behind, I don’t need that now... I’m a detective, I follow leads... computers just aren’t my style.



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment